Monday 11 March 2013

Alpha, Omega and the Gooey Center.

I'm sure there's someone who should be given sole recognition for telling burgeoning authors that you always start with the beginning, then you write the end, and then you figure out the middle. It makes sense.  The best jokes are the ones that have a clear punchline. The best books are the ones that leave you feeling some sort of closure. Even 1984, with its insanely depressing ending was clear and concise; you cared about the way it ended.  Ultimately, the ending matters less than what happened leading up to that point.  Nobody would care about the ending in that book if they weren't given some reason to care, some reason to want to see our protagonist win out.  This is why you write the middle last; it's more important than everything else. This is the part I suck at. This is the part that leaves me writing notes and flow charts and notes within my flow charts. I create an artistic masterpiece that would have Jackson Pollock envious of my ordered chaos. It doesn't help me write though. It simply helps me feel overwhelmed and unable to move on and do something with my ideas.

I need help. If anyone's actually reading this, can you help me out?  I need many beginnings and many ends. I need to practice the middle parts. I want to see point A, point B and then practice getting from one to the other. The reason I want help here is that I don't want to care about either point though. I just want to practice writing as a matter of fact, not as a matter of investigating my own ideas and niether as an exercise in clomping through my own literary comfort zones.

So, if anyone wants to provide me with some Beginning/End combos, send them to me. I'll try my best to flesh out the middle and then post them here for critique and evisceration.

Thank you in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment